We know buying a boat can be a big decision, so we’re here to make sure the process is as smooth as possible for you and you have access to all the advice and support you need.
The process for buying a boat can include all the steps described here:
1. Tell us which boat you’re interested in
Found a boat you like? Talk to our brokers
and they can answer any questions. They’re here to help and support you in accessing the information you need and can provide expert advice.
2. View the boat
We will arrange a time for you to view the boat so you can have a good look around, above and below deck and ask any questions.
3. Make an offer
So you’ve found a boat you love - the next step is to make an offer that our brokers will present to the vendor. This includes:
- Preparing the written offer – your Busfield broker will do this for you.
- This offer, which is a legal document, outlines the offer price and the conditions that will need to be met for sale. You can add any special conditions at this stage.
- A date for settlement is included in the offer but is reliant on conditions being met to your satisfaction (the settlement date allows time for surveys and sea trials).
- When you and the seller agree on the purchase price and conditions, a 10% deposit is payable and held in Busfield Marine’s trust account. This deposit is 100% refundable if conditions are not met to your satisfaction.
4. Surveys, sea trials and conditions of sale
Now’s the time to get the surveyor in and take the boat out for a sea trial. You arrange for the surveyor but we can offer recommendations and can sort out arrangements to book the haul out and co-ordinate timings.
- Surveys are carried out both in and out of the water.
- The purchaser pays the cost of the survey and the vendor pays for the haul out.
- We will handle any questions arising from the survey and support you and the vendor through this process.
- The sea trial is normally an hour under power if a launch, and short sail if it’s a yacht.
5. Ongoing support – even after sale
Congratulations – you have a great new boat to enjoy on the water.
Our service doesn’t end there though. We’ll still be around to provide on-going support, answer any questions you may have and to help you get the best out of your boat.
Seen a boat you like the look of, or have some questions?
Speak to one of our brokers
on +64 9 376 4006
or complete the form below and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.