Colin Rees = experience and integrity.
Colin has an intrinsic understanding of boats and the experience of 15 years at Busfield to ensure that the client is matched with the right vessel suitable for their needs.
Colin is a certified Naval Architect with a degree in small craft yacht design and is one of few in the brokerage industry that holds a New Zealand National Certificate in Boat Sales. This gives him the professional qualifications and integrity within New Zealand’s boating industry that clients can easily trust.
Colin’s personal biography gives him the natural instinct of knowing the ins and outs of boats, all kinds of boats, that only experience can bring and clients can certainly benefit from. His marine history can be summarised as such:
- Grew up sailing on one of the toughest stretches of water in the world, the Cape of Storms – racing dinghys and keelers around the South African Coast
- At seventeen years of age, headed offshore with his family and across the Atlantic on their 50’ ketch, ending up in the Caribbean
- At the age of 19, was then the youngest professional charter skipper in the Virgin Islands skippering numerous yachts on charter and delivered yachts between the Caribbean and the East Coast of the United States
- At 21, hired as a private captain for a 54’ Beau Nash, by Venezuelan family (which had two small children) for a year-long Caribbean cruise
- Moved to east coast of America and attended a two-year yacht design study course at the Maine Maritime Academy obtaining an Honours Degree in Small Craft Naval Architecture
- Employed as a naval architect / yacht designer at two of New England’s prestigious yacht design firms, John G Alden Associates and C Raymond Hunt Designs over a five year period working on both yacht and powerboat designs.
- Bought and renovated own yacht, a Rhodes 41’ yawl, while living aboard in Boston, Massachusetts, eventually setting sail to the Caribbean
- Employed as a private yacht skipper on Sirocco, a 80’ Palmer and Johnson, Alden ketch (one of the largest yachts in the Caribbean at the time) making numerous trips between New York and the West Indies
- Travelled with wife on his own yacht (41’ Rhodes yawl) for a couple of years cruising through the Caribbean, Panama Canal and across the Pacific Ocean to eventually end up in New Zealand
- Employed as boat builder for McMullen and Wing, New Zealand and part of the team that conducted the refit Shenandoah the classic 103’ schooner
- Yacht Broker for Busfield Marine, New Zealand for 15 years with personal responsibility of successful boat sales (including those in Europe, Australia, French Polynesia, Caribbean, Vanuatu, and Fiji) to over 200 satisfied customers.
As you can see, Colin has a wealth of boating history and personal experience, along with the professional education and qualifications, and 15 years in New Zealand’s marine industry, makes him a valuable resource for clients to tap into:
Colin Rees – experience and integrity. Feel free to him a call, or drop him an email with any questions you may have or advice you may be seeking.
Mobile: 029 969 1221